Letter from New Principal
As we end this academic year I felt it was important that I write to you as I have been appointed as the new Principal of Ormiston Shelfield Community Academy and I am due to start in September. I am delighted to be coming to work at the academy and I am committed to building on the excellent progress the academy has made over the last 18 months, ensuring your children gain the skills and academic qualifications to succeed...
20th July 2016
As we end this academic year I felt it was important that I write to you as I have been appointed as the new Principal of Ormiston Shelfield Community Academy and I am due to start in September. I am delighted to be coming to work at the academy and I am committed to building on the excellent progress the academy has made over the last 18 months, ensuring your children gain the skills and academic qualifications to succeed.
I believe that schools should be outcome focused and values driven. I will endeavour to ensure that students are provided with excellent teaching and learning which enables them to academically progress and attain good examination results, alongside this, students will have the opportunity to access opportunities that will enrich their life experiences and develop strong relationships with peers and staff built on an ethos of mutual respect. Our four core values of Aspiration, Positivity, Responsibility and Achievement will underpin all that we do.
As the year closes, please can I remind you of our expectations, ready for September.
Ormiston Shelfield Community Academy Values
· We are committed to ensuring that we have high aspirations for our students and that we support them to achieve challenging goals.
· We want our students to aim high, pursue their dreams and think ‘big’!
· We have a positive culture here at Ormiston Shelfield Community Academy – we value the contribution of others and work together to achieve our vision.
· We expect our students to smile! Students are expected to be polite and well mannered, adopting a positive attitude to learning at all times.
· There is no more important responsibility than ensuring your child has a positive future. Our staff take this responsibility seriously and are committed to ensuring that your child has a positive experience here at Ormiston Shelfield Community Academy.
· We expect our students to take responsibility for their attitude to learning, behaviour and attendance, and for parents to support our high expectations.
· Our academy is one where students are rewarded and recognised for their personal achievements.
· We believe that by ensuring students and staff have high aspirations, are positive and accept their responsibilities, this will lead to outstanding achievements.
To aid the smooth running of our academy and to ensure we maintain a purposeful and safe environment for our students, we have decided to split lunch times for students next year. This will allow students to have more space and greater opportunity to sit and enjoy lunch with their peers.
Attendance and Punctuality
I would like to thank the vast majority of our parents/carers who ensure students are at school every day and on time. Students are expected to be at school by 8.40am and in their form room ready for the start of the school day at 8.45am. We will detain students who are late and chase all absences. If your child is ill and not able to come to school, please ring as early as possible in the morning to let us know. We do not permit students to take time off or have holidays during term time and any requests must come to me directly, well in advance of the dates you wish me to consider. Thank you.
We have a strict uniform policy here at Ormiston Shelfield Community Academy. We do not permit trainers, short skirts or tight slim fitting trousers to be worn. We are a formal business workplace, therefore the expectation is that students have:
· proper shirts
· formal black shoes
· blazers with school badge
· ties (boys)
If further clarification is needed on correct footwear, a photo gallery is available on the website to view. Any student who fails to wear appropriate footwear or academy uniform will be placed in seclusion until the situation is resolved.
We encourage students to leave all expensive personal items at home. We cannot take responsibility for everyone’s phones, iPods, jewellery etc. All losses are at owner’s own risk and little, (if any) time will be spent on the recovery of items as you can appreciate the importance of not being distracted from our core purpose of learning. All goods and clothing need to be fully labelled. I would also like to remind everyone that students need a bag, books, pens, planner and pencils with them every day.
We have fantastic relationships between staff, staff and students, our parents/carers and the community. We expect everyone to be respectful. Even if at times, we have to have difficult and tough conversations, we expect everyone to remain calm and respectful. As adults, we must continue to set the best examples of how we should treat each other for our students. We are all one team and must learn to live and work together.
Start of next term
Monday 5th September 2016 - Staff Inset Day
Tuesday 6th September 2016 - 8.40am – Year 7
- 9.30am – Year 11
Wednesday 7th September 2016 - 8.40am – All students
I am committed to providing the right outcomes and opportunities for students and I am really looking forward to joining the excellent team that is already in place at Ormiston Shelfield Community Academy. Please have a wonderful summer break, let’s hope the weather improves and I look forward to working with you all in the future.
Mr S Turnbull