careers in year 10
Your career is your pathway through life – a combination of living, learning and earning.
During Year 10, you will have the chance to explore career options and will start to think more about what you want to do after you are 16.
The Skills Show
In Year 10, you will visit The Skills Show, the UK’s largest skills and careers event at the NEC in Birmingham. The Skills Show hosts a range of employers, training providers, colleges and universities who are all on hand to talk to students about future opportunities and career options. There is also an opportunity to take part in 'have a go' skills experiences and the chance to gain information, advice and guidance from a range of career industry experts.
Careers advice is also made available from the national careers service, who have IAG advisers offering independent and impartial careers advice to young people visiting the show.
There are typically employers representing the following industries at the show:
- Creative and Design
- Engineering and Technology
- Digital and Business
- Construction and Logistics
- Health and Hospitality
Employers who have been in attendance in the past have included; Amazon, The Royal Mail, Dyson, Jewson, Toyota, HS2, Siemens, Jaguar Land Rover, The NHS, Nestle and Mitchells and Butlers, to name a few.
Work shadowing and Employer Visits
In Year 10, you will have the opportunity to choose a Year 10 work shadowing or employer visit of your choice where you will go out to an employer for the day for an introduction to the world of work, a talk on careers within the industry visit you have chosen and a taster session.
The work shadowing/employer visits we have visited up to date have included:
- Banking and Finance at Lloyds Banking Group Head Office, Brindley Place, Birmingham.
- Technology/STEM with TATA Digital Services in Birmingham.
- Make-up artistry with MAC at Grand Central store, Birmingham.
- Music Production at The Academy of Contemporary Music, Birmingham.
- Hairdressing and Beauty at University College Birmingham.
- Media at the BBC, Mailbox, Birmingham.
- Food catering, hospitality and food science at University College Birmingham.
- Tourism at Cadbury World (Mondelez), Birmingham.
- Games Design and Development at Birmingham City University
- Sports Science and Physiotherapy with Birmingham City University
- Construction and Working with communities with Walsall Housing Group (WHG)
- Construction site visit with Carillion
- Child Development and Early Years with University College Birmingham
- Business services with Homeserve
- Manufacturing and Engineering with ZF Lemforder
- Engineering and Design with Jaguar Land Rover
- Healthcare and medicine at Birmingham Children’s Hospital
- Travel and Tourism with University College Birmingham and British Airways
- Design and technology at AF Blakemore
You will continue to do careers related learning in your PSHE lessons during form-time, where you will cover topics including:
- The world of work
- What employers want
- Planning for the future
You will get another chance to visit the Careers Fair in school and will talk to a range of employers, universities and training providers about options for the future including apprenticeships and training opportunities.
Any Questions about Careers, Post-16 options (after Year 11), Post-18 options/University or generally about your future don’t hesitate to contact Miss Woodhouse at: firstname.lastname@example.org